Individual Membership and Membership Renewal
Benefits of Membership:
- Receive the Journal of Military History and the Headquarters Gazette quarterly at no additional charge
- Access to all back issues of the Journal of Military History and its predecessors back to 1937.
- Receive reductions on other SMH publications
- Ability to present a paper or serve as a panel chair or commentator at the Society’s annual conference
- Discounted registration fees for graduate students attending the annual conference
- Graduate students can apply for Weigley travel grants to the annual conference
- Membership dues help the Society fulfill its mission of stimulating and advancing the study of military history
Student memberships receive online-only access to publications. Students will access the Journal of Military History using information provided quarterly by EBSCO and the Headquarters Gazette here. Overseas students pay no additional postage.
- Students in a terminal Master’s program may receive the graduate student rate for two years.
- Students in a PhD program may receive the graduate student rate for up to eight years.
Current Membership Cost in US $:
- Regular Individual Membership (US and Canada): $95
- Two-Year Regular Individual Membership (US and Canada): $190
- Regular Individual Membership (Overseas): $105
- Two-Year Individual Membership (Overseas): $210
- Contingent Faculty (non-tenure track or contracted for 1 year or less; online only): $75
- Student Membership (electronic-only access to publications): $35
- K-12 Educators (electronic-only access to publications): $35
- Sustaining Membership (includes annual membership and contribution to SMH): $190
- Two-Year Sustaining Membership (includes annual membership and contribution to SMH): $380
How to Become a Member or Renew Your Existing Membership:
There are three ways to join or renew your membership in the Society for Military History.
Method 1: Join or Renew Online
- Go to our New Member Order Page and fill out the form.
- Go to our Membership Renewal Order page and fill out the form.
Method 2: Download a Membership Application Form
The membership application form, available here as an Adobe PDF file, requires Adobe Acrobat Reader for viewing and printing. Click on the logo below to go to Adobe's web site and get Adobe Reader. If you have a PDF plug-in installed with your browser, the form will open in a new window. If not, the PDF file should download to your hard drive, where it can be opened separately with Adobe Reader.
Student applicants: You must include the name of the institution you are attending and the signature of a professor under whom you are working.
Method 3: Join Without a Membership Application Form
If you prefer not to join online and are not able to download the application, determine the appropriate fees from the table above and send a check in US funds only payable to the Society for Military History, or Visa/MasterCard/American Express/Discover information, to the following address:
The Journal of Military History
George C. Marshall Library
Virginia Military Institute
Lexington, VA 24450
Please include your name, address, phone number and email.
Student applicants: You must include the name of the institution you are attending, the name of your major professor/faculty advisory, and your academic program (MA or Ph.D.).