Welcome to the Society for Military History
Established in 1933 as the American Military History Foundation, renamed in 1939 the American Military Institute, and renamed again in 1990 the Society for Military History, the Society is devoted to stimulating and advancing the study of military history. Its membership (today more than 2700) has included many of the world's most prominent scholars, soldiers, and citizens interested in military history.
George C. Marshall Lecture in Military History
sponsored by the George C. Marshall Foundation
and the Society for Military History
will be delivered by
University of Kansas
“Thinking About Military History as a
History of Social Change”
At the American Historical Association Annual Meeting
Friday, January 5, 2024, 3:30-5:00 P.M.
Hilton San Francisco Union Square
GRIMSLEY FELLOWSHIP ANNOUNCEMENT
The Society for Military History (SMH) seeks a doctoral student in military history and who is a member in good standing in the SMH to fill its Mark Grimsley SMH Fellowship in Social Media. This position honors Dr. Mark Grimsley, Associate Professor of History at the Ohio State University, a widely published scholar and leading pioneer in military history social media and academic blogging. The Grimsley Fellow will serve a two-year term beginning January l, 2024, and receive a stipend of $2,000 per year from the SMH.
The Grimsley Fellow will join the SMH's Social Media Committee and act primarily to maintain the SMH presence on Twitter. Among other duties, the Grimsley Fellow will focus on posting abridged versions of notices that appear on the SMH Facebook Group, Facebook Page, and the SMH web site.
Any student of military history currently enrolled in a doctoral program — who is also an SMH member — is eligible for the Grimsley Fellowship. Please submit your application electronically to the SMH Social Media Committee Chair, Dr. Amber Batura, at firstname.lastname@example.org . Applicants must submit:
- A cover letter with a statement describing how social media can benefit and be utilized by the SMH
- The applicant's CV
- Written confirmation from the applicant's adviser that he or she is a student in good standing in an accredited program.
The deadline for applications is 15 December 2023. The Grimsley Fellow will be chosen by a search committee comprised of the SMH Social Media Committee. Contact Dr. Amber Batura at email@example.com with any questions.
The Social Media Fellow operates the Society's Twitter page and assists the rest of the Social Media Committee with its duties including management of the Society's Facebook page, and Facebook group. The fellow advances the study of military history and diffuses knowledge by electronic means as an extension of print media and other professional contributions—book reviews, articles, conference events, etc. The Social Media Fellow reports to the Social Media (Facebook/Twitter) team and beyond that the vice-president.
- Operate the Society's Twitter account: @SMH Historians.
- Assist the Social Media Team with administrating posts, membership, and connections to the Society's Facebook page and group.
- Manage the associated g-mail account for the Twitter page: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Draw information from reputable/peer-reviewed sources to publish in tweets and/or Facebook posts.
- Promote online connections to other academic, historical, military, and professional organizations.
- Communicate officially released news, opportunities, awards, and conference information from the Society.
- Maintain virtual/digital relationships with other organizations including, but not exclusive of: the American Council of Learned Societies, National Humanities Alliance, National Coalition for History, American Historical Association and Organization of American Historians.
- Promote relevant tweets and Facebook posts of related organizations, independent scholars, and news agencies to foster reciprocal visibility.
- Highlight Society-hosted events.
Organizations and entities interested in advertising on the Society’s main page page can find relevant information here.