Call for Papers: NEW DATE
88th Annual Meeting of the Society for Military History
April 28-May 1, 2022
Omni Resorts Hotel, Fort Worth
The Society for Military History is pleased to announce a call for papers for its 88th Annual Meeting in Fort Worth, Texas.
For the 2022 meeting, the Program Committee will consider paper and panel proposals on all topics in military history. Submissions of pre-organized panels and roundtables are strongly encouraged and will receive preference in the selection process. Panel and paper proposals will clearly explain their topics and questions in ways that the broad membership of SMH can understand. Additionally, the SMH encourages the representation of the full diversity of its membership and especially values panel and roundtable proposals that reflect the organization’s diversity of institutional affiliations, various career paths and ranks, gender, race, and ethnicity.
Proposals are welcome for complete panels, roundtables, and individual papers. Abbreviated (1 page) curriculum vitae with institutional affiliation and email address are required for all presenters, including panel chairs and commentators. They should not contain personal information, since CVs may be linked to the conference program on the mobile app.
- Panel proposals must include a panel title and 300-word abstract summarizing the theme of the panel; paper title and a 300-word abstract for each paper proposed; and a one-page professional curriculum vitae for each panelist (including the chair and commentator).
- Roundtable proposals must include a roundtable title, a 300-word abstract summarizing the roundtable’s themes and points of discussion, and a one-page curriculum vitae for each participant (including the moderator, if any).
- Individual paper proposals are also welcome and must include a paper title, 300- word abstract of the paper, and one-page vita with email address. If accepted, individual papers will be assigned by the program committee to an appropriate panel with a chair and commentator.
- Virtual panel or paper proposals or hybrid virtual and in person panel proposals will be conducted via Zoom. That option can be selected in the submission portal.
Those who wish to volunteer to serve as chairs and commentators should notify the Program Committee Chair, Heather Venable (firstname.lastname@example.org) and include a one- page curriculum vitae with their message. Please include “SMH 2022 Voluntary Chair/Commentator” in the subject line.
Proposals will be judged according to the following criteria:
- Proposal explains the topic, research questions, methodologies, and historiographic significance to specialists and non-specialists alike. (10 points)
- Proposal presents new findings or revisions of long-held interpretations. (10 points)
- Proposal highlights how the panel will be of value to a range of SMH members, including those teaching military history courses. (5 points)
- Proposal reflects the SMH’s diversity of institutional affiliations, various career paths and ranks, gender, race, and ethnicity. (Does not apply to individual submissions) (5 points)
- Members who act as panel chairs may deliver a paper, serve on a roundtable, or offer comments in another session.
- Members who serve as both the chair and commentator of a single session may not present in another session unless invited to participate in Presidential or Vice- Presidential sessions.
The submission window closes on 1 November 2021. The Program Committee will evaluate proposals and notify presenters of their status NLT 15 January. All accepted presenters, chairs, and commentators must be members of the Society for Military History by 15 February 2022 and must register for the conference NLT 31 March 2022 to remain on the conference program. A Young Scholars call for papers (for BA and MA students) will be circulated o/a 15 January 2022.